Govt. Of Jharkhand
Kanke, Ranchi, Jharkhand
Aims & objectives of RINPAS as per order of Hon’ble supreme court:
- Diagnostic & Therapeutic facilities for mental patients.
- Social and occupational rehabilitation for mental patients
- Professional & Para-Professional training in the field of Psychiatry, Clinical Psychology, Psychiatric Social Work and Psychiatric Nursing
- Expansion of mental health service at community level by providing training to medical & Para-medical personnel in the field
- Research in behavioral Sciences.
Independence this hospital came under State Govt. of Bihar and on 30th August 1958 the name of IMH was changed to Ranchi Mansik Arogyashala (RMA). Patients from the states of Eastern India eg. Bihar, West Bengal, Orissa, Manipur, Mizoram, Tripura were kept here and sanctioned bed strength was 1620. However, patients used to be more than 2000. It was matter of pride that the first MD in Psychiatry was awarded to Dr. L. P. Verma from this institute in 1942. However since early seventies of the last century there was overall decline of RMA in care of mental patients, teaching and research. P.G. course in Psychiatry discontinued as one by one faculty member left the institute. PIL was filed in Supreme Court by Mr. Rakesh Chandra Narayan on behalf of mental patients regarding the pathetic condition of inmates of RMA. Supreme Court took note of PIL and in its order dated 8 September 1994 directed Govt. of Bihar to notify RMA as autonomous institute. Hon’ble Supreme Court also framed the RMA rules and constituted Management Committee for administrative and financial management of RMA to avoid red tapism. Supreme Court vide its order dated 11-11-1997 entrusted National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) to monitor and supervise the functioning of RMA. On 10th January 1998 the name of RMA was changed to Ranchi Institute of Neuro-Psychiatry & Allied Sciences (RINPAS)